Dear New & Returning Friends of Captain Joseph House:
We hope this finds you and your family safe and healthy. Thank you for continuing to celebrate the life of Captain Joseph Schultz, and your commitment to supporting his legacy through CJHF, CaptainJosephHouseFoundation.org. Due to COVID-19, the annual run scheduled on June 7, 2020, has been turned into a virtual run. We would still love to have you join our team, for the 9th Annual “Run for Joe” event. Just like in 2018 when 177 Soldiers and Marines ran on bases in Afghanistan, we can all run or walk our own marathon, half marathon, 5K or 10K right in our own neighborhood.
“Run for Joe” has always been a major fundraiser for Captain Joseph House Foundation. We will continue to hold this event each year.
Your registration fee goes to support/offset NODM expenses. None of your registration fee comes to the Run for Joe fundraising efforts. We appreciate the opportunity to be associated with NODM, however, we still need you to get pledges from friends, family, co-workers and other associates to help fund Captain Joseph House. We ask that everyone set a minimum personal goal of $500.
As this year is a virtual event, and many of you will not be leaving home to participate, sponsor yourself in the amount of travel expenses you won’t be incurring to join us. If you are interested in “leading from the front” like Joe, please take a moment to read this important message:
Joe’s mother, Betsy, donated her former B&B property to CJHF. Thank you for previous support in raising funds to make the remodel possible. The Foundation, a one-of-a-kind, 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization offers the Families an opportunity to honor, remember and celebrate their Fallen Heroes from all branches of the military. These Families and their loved ones have made the ultimate sacrifice in protecting our freedoms and will not be forgotten. CJHF will offer a modest scholarship program to assist children of the Fallen with post-high school educational expenses. More than 23,000 Volunteers works hours and a Washington State Capital project grant for $218K was awarded to CJHF to complete the house.
WE NEED YOU to help raise the funds to cover operational expenses which include the cost of bringing Gold Star Families to Captain Joseph House for their 6-day family-to-family respite visit, room & board, transportation during their visit, and recreational activities. We are excited for your participation. Here is what you need to know:
- “Run for Joe” is part of the North Olympic Discovery Marathon event in Port Angeles, WA. If you have not already registered, there is still plenty of time to do so. And you will still get a participation shirt with your virtual registration. If you have already signed up with NODM, you may switch to “virtual run” for June 7th, transfer to another upcoming race, or defer you entry until June 2021. All of this can be done on their website under the COVID-19 link at the top of their website.
- There are several virtual participation options: Full marathon, half-marathon, 10K, 5K, kid’s race and marathon relay. You are responsible for setting up your own Marathon Relay teams. Have full names of relay members available when registering on the NODM website.
- Register now for the “2020 Virtual Registration”
- At the end of your registration is an opportunity to sign up to run for a charity. Choose “Run for Joe”!
- All registered “Run for Joe” participants receive a 100% cotton, crewneck Commemorative 9th Annual “Run for Joe” t-shirt.
- Participants are expected to raise at least $500 on behalf of CJHF for this fundraiser! Go to Fundraising for ideas to solicit donations. If you meet that goal, on or before June 15, 2020, you will receive a cool “Run for Joe” performance running singlet!
PLEASE PROVIDE US WITH YOUR SHIRT SIZE
XS – S – M – L – XL – XXL – XXXL
- Sponsor donations may be mailed directly to CJHF. (It is not advisable to send cash through the mail.) Checks should be made out to: Captain Joseph House Foundation and mailed to CJHF, 1108 South Oak Street, Port Angeles, WA 98362. If you are sponsoring a runner/walker, indicate their name on the memo line of the check. To sponsor a runner/walker online for this fundraiser, go to Sponsor a Runner. A letter of appreciation for your support and for your tax records will be sent out two weeks following the event.
- Even if you aren’t joining us virtually, you can join us in raising money for Run For Joe from your hometown by raising awareness, community support and donations for CJHF.
- “Run for Joe” runners and walkers are aiming to raise $30,000 or more for CJH this year. Monies will be used to cover program expenses for Gold Star Families who come from throughout the country when they visit Captain Joseph House.
In addition, we are looking for corporate sponsors! If you know of any potential individuals or companies who might support military related organizations, applications for corporate sponsorship or direct them to Betsy Reed Schultz, Gold Star Mother, Executive Director at 360-460-7848.
- Until we see you again, we send our wishes for the safety, health and well-being of you and your loved ones. We thank you for your continued support and participation during these challenging times.
Mary Jo Koepke: Run For Joe Committee Co-Chair
Amy DelaBarre: Run For Joe Committee Co-Chair